Hunter & Gatherer Weekly

My blog, my webpage, me....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wake Forest, Shelby, Chapel Hill...., North Carolina, United States

Ex-Shelby Star photographer, wrote a weekly outdoor adventure column. Now I'm a law student at UNC-Chapel Hill....

Monday, January 02, 2006

"Prince Ludwig Lager"

Yep, I've got two gallons of Bavarian beer coming my way.... Yay! Thanks Mr. Beer!

A couple Christmasses ago my Mom (German) gave me a beer brewing kit. And yes that's a photo from their website, www.mrbeer.com (I presume they won't mind the photo's use, as I'm plugging them for all I'm worth).

Now's I've got a batch a'brewing.... Prince Ludwig Lager --

"In the honor the Prince of Bavaria, the region that turns out some of the greatest
beers in the world, we try our hand at making a great Bavarian Style beer.

Ingredients
1 can Octoberfest’s Vienna Lager
1 can Whispering Wheat Weizenbier
¼ oz Saaz Hops

Instructions for brewing:
1. Clean and sanitize the following equipment according to your Brew Keg instructions: a pot of three quart size or greater, a metal spoon or metal whisk, your keg fermenter, keg lid, spigot assembly, and a funnel or cup measure for transferring to the keg fermenter as well as your can opener. Keep all on a sanitized surface.

2. Place 4 cups of water in the pot. Bring the water to a boil, then remove from heat.


3. Add the Octoberfest’s Vienna Lager, Whispering Wheat and ¼ oz Saaz Hops. Stir with a sanitized spoon or whisk until fully dissolved. This mixture is called the wort. Note: hops will appear as green leaf particles and will not dissolve.


4. Add 4 quarts of cold tap water to your sanitized keg fermenter.

5. Add the wort from the saucepan to the brew keg using the funnel or cup measure, and top up with cold tap water to the 8.5 quart mark. Stir to make sure that the wort is all one temperature. Preferable temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees. Warning: if the temperature is too hot, there is risk of killing the yeast.


6. Sprinkle the yeast from the packet on top of the wort. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then stir the wort vigorously with the sanitized spoon or whisk.


7. Screw the lid in place and set the keg fermenter in a room with a stable temperature (68 to 76°F is best). Leave the fermenter for two weeks, or until the fermentation has ceased.

8. Bottle in PET carbonated beverage bottles or non-screw top beer bottles, using the correct amount of priming sugar as directed in your Brewing with Mr. Beer booklet. Carbonate as usual, allow to lager for at least one week before popping the first one open for best results."

http://www.mrbeer.com/prlula.html

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to learning about your latest Mr. Beer brew. I would like to know if you have used it in the past to make a good brew. I received a kit for Christmas, and now I wait on my first batch using the default brew mix sent with new kits.

10:06 PM  
Blogger John Derrick said...

I've gotten quite a few good brews out of it in the past. In fact, though I can remember some I liked better than others, I don't remember any bad ones.

If the first mix they sent you is the same as the one they sent me, was it the Nut Brown Ale? I recall that one was quite nice.

Be prepared to have more yeasts and sediments and stuff in your beer -- though they may look unusual, they are actually good for you and can be strained out as you pour... also don't jiggle the bottle around right before you pour.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home