Hunter & Gatherer Weekly

My blog, my webpage, me....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wake Forest, Shelby, Chapel Hill...., North Carolina, United States

Ex-Shelby Star photographer, wrote a weekly outdoor adventure column. Now I'm a law student at UNC-Chapel Hill....

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I saw this on the History Channel and it's just too odd….

Alaskan natives have long provided our military with expertise in arctic warfare. It should come as no surprise that Inuits know a thing or too about living and working in the cold.

Inheriting a storied history of Alaskans serving our forces in native military units, we currently have the Alaskan National Guard…

… units of which have been shipped to Iraq.

Really, I saw footage of some of their training. Like many contemporary units training for military operations in urban terrain (MOUT), they had a mock Iraqi streetscape they were using to practice building clearing techniques… in a blizzard.

I have this mental image of a unit of Inuits deplaning somewhere in the sandy Gulf, still uniformed in their furry white parkas despite the 120 degree shade temperature, when one turns to the other --

"Hey, Arnakua'gsak."

"Yes, Pukkeenegak."

"WHAT THE F…!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home